Thursday, September 18, 2008

Earned My Wings


So I'm on a NWA Mesaba airplane in Providence RI waiting to fly back to MSP. I'm in the exit seat right above the right wing. Bored, I watch the fuel truck guy fill up the plane. He puts in approximately 500 gallons then he fights with the fuel cap. He forces it on and forces the lever. It looks crooked but hey, he's the expert right? As we start to taxi, fuel is spilling out of the cap, as we take off and start ascending fuel is screaming out of the cap. It looked kind of cool actually, but I decided to call the flight attendant. Once the plane levelled off she came to see what's up. I showed her the fuel shooting off the wing, and her eyes got as big as saucers "that doesn't look right" she says, and takes off. Another flight attendant verifies that yup, fuel is shooting out of the plane, she takes off and the next thing you know the plane swoons and turns around back to the runway. People are all conversing what's going on, people with connecting flights were teasing me that I should've ignored it! We land to a convoy of fire trucks, out in the runway a fireman in a silver suit, slowly approaches the wing to inspect it. We taxi in and a technician (use that term loosely) tries prying open the fuel cap with his car keys! Let's see, a metal spark, or at worst bend his truck keys so he can't escape the fiery ball? He decides to use the mountain climbing key chain thingie and open it with that instead. He puts the fuel cap back on, and then it's obvious the first attempt by the fuel truck guy was really bad. We deplane, I'm a semi-celebrity but I'm soon forgotten. We wait 4 hours before reboarding to get home at 12:30 AM. What do I get for my heroism? A plastic set of NWA wings from the flight attendant I first notified and a plea for me to not look out the window again, she wants to get home! On my way home, two blocks from my house? Get pulled over for speeding, thankfully I get away with a warning.... thanks NWA....

8 comments:

StevenCX said...

Yikes! Better than running out of fuel over Lake Superior though!

Smithers said...

the proper response to this post is:

"Way to go asshole."

Glad you got home ok.

Tenacious T said...

Earning your wings: check it

Lunatic Biker said...

Fuckin' whiner...now you're a mechanic too.

Skibby said...

tenacious t: been there done that

lunatic: I stayed at a holiday inn express the night before, of course I'm a mechanic too....

Meow said...

Oh Skibalicious!! Yer my Hero!

timmer said...

FYI it takes a lot more than a spark to ignite air plane fuel..

biscodo said...

And car keys don't spark - they're usually made of brass and are nickel-plated to make them shiny. Brass - the same metal they use for hammers and punches used on carburetors and gasoline engines, specifically because it *doesn't* spark when you hit steel with it.

... same goes for aluminum too, the thing carabiners (the "climbing thing") are made of.

Congratulations on catching it - if I were Mesaba, I would've at least given you a voucher for a free flight some time to say thanks. And then, like Sarah Palin, you could say "no thanks" to the reporters, but then go ahead and take the voucher anyway... and sell it on eBay, because who the fuck would fly Mesaba after having to tell them to put the gas cap back on?